Truck breakdown leaves congestion in its wake


Truck on Brisbane's Gateway Motorway causes extensive traffic congestion after breaking down

January 18, 2010

A broken down truck on Brisbane’s Gateway Motorway has caused extensive traffic congestion after it took police almost three hours to remove it.

The stricken truck was stuck at Belmont on the northbound section of the motorway, with police receiving reports the vehicle’s brakes had jammed.

Motorists were urged to seek alternate routes, with uncertainty over how long it would take the tow truck to remove the heavy vehicle.

A police spokeswoman says police were notified of the incident about 10.40am and police notified the public about 12.30pm the vehicle had been removed.

"It had been in that position for an hour or so before we were notified," the spokeswoman says of the broken down truck.

She was unable to confirm reports of the jammed brakes, but says it will be a while before traffic begins to flow again.

"It’s going to take some time for the backlog to clear," the spokeswoman says.


You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook