WA continues mass management scheme


WA Government will continue harvest mass management scheme introduced last year

August 25, 2010

The West Australian Government will continue its harvest mass management scheme introduced last year for trucks carrying grain.

Transport Minister Simon O’Brien says the program will stay in place following its success during the 2009-2010 harvest.

The scheme allows an extra mass concession of up to 10 percent for trucks rated to safely carry the additional load.

It was introduced to accommodate the need for flexibility operators need due to the variable loads they must cart.

Those participating in the scheme must be approved by and registered with Main Roads WA.

The department audits companies and conducts roadside enforcement to ensure compliance with the scheme.

"The scheme is working well; it has recognised the practical difficulties in loading from farms which do not have weighing facilities," O’Brien says.

"The scheme’s duration period will be from October 1, 2010 to February 28, 2011."

While participation in the scheme is voluntary, O’Brien says trucking operators will benefit by participating due to the extra mass allowance.

He says a document will be released soon to encourage potential participants to join the scheme.



You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook