Planning work to continue despite floods


Federal Government says planning and design work for projects in North Queensland will continue despite floods

January 31, 2011

Despite delaying a number of key road upgrades due to flooding, the Federal Government says planning and design work for projects in North Queensland will continue.

The Government last week announced six upgrades along the Bruce Highway would be delayed to use the money on flood recovery efforts.

"The floods have hit Queensland harder than any other natural disaster in our nation’s history. This extraordinary natural event has required an extraordinary response from all levels government," Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese says.

"While construction on a small number of projects will be delayed in order to free up funds and skilled workers for the massive rebuilding task that now faces us, planning on each of them will continue."

The Government says the delay of the six projects will generate $325 million for recovery efforts.

Projects to be delayed include the $86 million upgrade of the Bruce between Caboolture and Caloundra and the $75 million duplication of the highway between Vantassel Street to the Flinders Highway.

The $65 million upgrade to the route between Cabbage Tree Creek to Carman Road and Back Creek Range will also be delayed, along with the $40 million realignment of the highway from Sandy Corner to Collinsons Lagoon.

The $20 million for intersection upgrades to the highway along the Burdekin Road will be funnelled into recovery efforts, with another $40 million coming from the Herbert River floodplain project.

The Federal Government is also planning to defer $675 million worth of road upgrades in other states.


You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook