Bligh extends disaster relief payments


Queensland Government extends disaster relief payments to primary producers and small businesses to help them recover from Cyclone Yasi

February 9, 2011

The Queensland Government has extended disaster relief payments to more primary producers and small businesses to help them recover from Cyclone Yasi.

Another 12 local government areas have qualified for the payments under the federal and state disaster recovery scheme.

Primary producers and small businesses in the Burdekin, Cairns, Cassowary, Charters Towers, Etheridge, Hinchinbrook, Mackay, Palm Island, Tablelands, Townsville, Whitsunday and Yarrabah regions will have access to concessional loans and freight subsidies.

"This activation means concessional loans of up to $250,000 are now available for more than two thirds of the state," Minister for Primary Industries, Fisheries, Rural and Regional Queensland Tim Mulherin says.

The Government previously announced relief payments for areas affected by the Queensland floods, which crippled large parts of the state late last year and last month.

Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts says 63 of the 73 local government areas in Queensland are now covered by disaster relief payments.


You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook