New WA overpass ends 'black spot' status


New overpass for traffic on the Reid Highway will improve safety, WA transport minister says

April 18, 2011

One of Perth’s worst black spots responsible for more than 700 crashes in the past 10 years has been eliminated after the opening of a new overpass.

The new Reid Highway overpass on Alexander Drive will put an end to the intersection’s black spot status, Western Australia Transport Minister Tony Buswell says.

The $40.6 million project, which opened to traffic last week, will carry Reid Highway traffic over Alexander Drive.

"More than 86,000 people use this intersection each day and their experience will now be vastly improved through less congestion, reduced delays and improved safety," Buswell says.

"This project will also ensure this intersection has the capacity to handle the expected growth in traffic over the next two decades."

Twelve people were seriously injured and another 121 people received medical attention in the past 10 years due to crashes at the intersection.

The crashes have cost Western Australia about $10 million in hospital and emergency care and property damage.

Alexander Drive has also been widened to include bus lanes in both directions and a double right-turn for vehicles turning right on to Reid Highway.

The Federal Government has contributed $10 million towards the project.


You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook