TWU vows to fight for 1st Fleet workers


Union boss says the fight will begin to secure any outstanding rights and entitlements sacked workers at 1st Fleet have

May 3, 2012

The Transport Workers Union (TWU) says it will switch focus to trying to secure any outstanding rights and entitlements belonging to sacked 1st Fleet workers.

TWU National Secretary Tony Sheldon labelled the closure of the company today a "tragedy" and says many owner-drivers have gone unpaid for more than two months.

Managing Director Stephen Brown told ATN earlier this week the company fell behind in wages but disputed the union claims that it spanned eight weeks.

"This announcement is nothing short of a tragedy for the entire workforce at 1stFleet and their families. Employees and owner drivers arrived at depots across the country this morning to find the gates were locked, their jobs had vanished and their ability to support their families is now uncertain," Sheldon says.

"TWU officials across the country are addressing the workforce this morning and we will be fighting for the rights and entitlements."

Sheldon says owner-drivers will face an uphill battle get what is owed and employees will need to wait for several weeks before they can secure their entitlements.

"Since the administration was announced last week, the workforce has been provided with little or no information," he says.




Bookmark and Share









You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook