Kennedy Hwy project to prevent flooding


Funding for Kennedy Highway in Queensland to prevent likelihood of funding and to open up access for road trains

July 11, 2012

The Federal Government has approved $10.5 million in new funding for the Kennedy Highway in Queensland to reduce the likelihood of flooding and to open up access for road trains.

Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Anthony Albanese says the single lane timber bridge over Nettle Creek will be replaced with a new, higher concrete bridge.

The upgrade is designed to make sure the highway remains open during the wet season, with Albanese saying it will reduce the likelihood of the section being inundated.

"The new bridge will also open up the highway to bigger trucks and road trains, which is vital considering it provides an alternative route for getting freight and produce into and out of Cairns and the surrounding Tablelands when the Bruce Highway is cut by extreme weather events, as it was when Cyclone Yasi struck early last year," Albanese says.

Funding will also be used to widen and strengthen the single lane section near Millstream to improve safety for motorists and truck drivers.

"Following further investigative and detail design work, we expect construction to begin on both projects next year and be completed in 2014," Albanese says.




Bookmark and Share





You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook