New rules for road trains in place for NSW

Changes to mass requirements for road trains in New South Wales have taken effect to improve transport productivity

July 2, 2012

New mass limit requirements for road trains to bring New South Wales into line with other jurisdictions and to boost productivity have taken effect.

Announced in May, the changes allow type one and type two road trains using tri-axle converter dollies fitted with road-friendly suspension to carry more weight on the road train network west of the Newell Highway.

A type one road train can now operate at 82.5 tonnes under general mass limits (GML), with the weight increasing to 84.5 tonnes under concessional mass limits (CML) and 90.5 tonnes under higher mass limits (HML).

A type two road train can operate at 122.5 GML and 124.5 CML. HML is not permitted. The changes bring the state into line with Queensland, Western Australia and South Australia.

"Previously road trains using tri-axle converter dollies were allowed the total combination mass limit of 79 tonnes for type one road trains and 115.5 tonnes for type two road trains, which are equivalent to the mass limits for road trains operating with tandem axle dollies," RMS Acting Director of Customer and Compliance Peter Wells says.

"These mass limits had effectively capped the mass limit of the tri-axle dolly at a tandem weight of 16.5 tonnes instead of 20 tonnes reducing industry productivity.

"Under the new mass policy the eligible tri-axle dolly in a road train combination is able to carry the full tri-axle group weights of 20 tonnes at GML, 21 tonnes at CML and 22.5 tonnes at HML."

The changes are contained in the Class 2 Road Train Notice 2012, which Wells says also covers GML operation of type one and type two road trains without tri-axle dollies.

"To operate at CML operators must also comply with the all conditions set out in the Class 3 Concessional Mass Limits Notice 2010 which includes enrolment in the mass module of the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme (NHVAS)," Wells says.

Type one road train operators wanting to access HML must first enrol in the Intelligent Access Program (IAP) and be issued with an IAP and HML permit.

"Existing HML road train permit holders can contact RMS Intelligent Access Unit in Glen Innes for a new HML permit," Wells says.

Bookmark and Share

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to receive the Owner Driver e-newsletter, digital magazine and other offers we choose to share with you straight to your inbox

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook


Trucks For Hire | Forklifts For Hire | Cranes For Hire | Generators For Hire | Transportable Buildings For Hire