First section of Cardwell Range upgrade opens


The first section of upgrade of the Bruce Highway over the Cardwell Range has been completed and opened to traffic

September 19, 2012

The first section of upgrade of the Bruce Highway over the Cardwell Range has been completed and is now open to traffic.

The Federal Government is spending $115 million to realign the 4km section of the highway through the Cardwell Range, starting about 15km north of Ingham.

Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Anthony Albanese says the opening of a 900 metre section of the highway marks a major milestone and follows the completion of the 180 metre long viaduct, Rungoo overpass and bridges earlier this year.

"The realignment will reduce the steepness of the road and the sharpness of curves which will improve traffic flow and safety for the 3,200 vehicles that use the road daily," Albanese says.

"New climbing lanes are also being installed on both sides of the range to allow heavy vehicles to move to the side so that faster vehicles can pass safely. The new climbing lanes will be opened to traffic in the first half of next year."

Albanese says the project is still expected to meet its completion deadline of mid-2013 despite the combination of two wet weather seasons and Cyclone Yasi affecting the area.

He says the work on the Cardwell Range is part of the Government’s $2.8 billion spend on the highway.


Bookmark and Share







You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook