Victoria Police launches road blitz


Operation Limit will run across 16 high-risk areas in regional Melbourne that have seen a spike in accidents

January 18, 2013

Victoria Police is launching a six-week long blitz targeting road trauma.

Operation Limit will run across 16 high-risk areas in regional Melbourne that have seen a spike in accidents over the last five years.

Police Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill says the first three months of the year are historically high-risk periods for road trauma in Victoria.

"While we’ve just recorded the fifth consecutive record low road toll and we’re currently 11 below the toll compared to the same time last year, we know how quickly things can change," Hill says.

"In January 2012 we saw a 67 percent increase in the number of fatalities compared to 2011, with 30 people killed on Victorian roads.

"We can’t afford to find ourselves in that position again this year so it’s important the community is aware of the risks and we all take action now."

Police will run booze and drug buses, satellite patrols and on-and-off road motorcycle patrols and speed checks across Mornington Peninsula, Melbourne, Dandenong, Geelong, Casey and Yarra.

It will target speeding, drink and driving, fatigue, driver distractions and seatbelts.

"We know when people head home from holidays they start thinking about returning to work and school and sadly these distraction often manifest in tragedy on our roads," Hill says.

Those planning to use the newly opened Peninsula Link Freeway are advised to allow extra time to adapt to new conditions, he adds.

Bookmark and Share





You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook