Dukes Highway upgrades completed


Repair and resurfacing works improve driving conditions for road users

April 29, 2013

Resurfacing works on the Dukes Highway in South Australia have been completed to improve travelling conditions or road users.

Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese says the final part of a resurfacing program has been completed following the conclusion of work on a six kilometre of stretch between Cannawigara and Bordertown.

Albanese says eight kilometres of the highway altogether had been targeted for resurfacing and repair as part of the Federal Government’s current six year road funding program, which began in 2008.

"For the more than 3,000 motorists and truck drivers that use the highway every day, the completion of this package of works means smoother, safer driving conditions," Albanese says.

"In addition, we are installing 86km of safety barriers and widening 90km of the highway, measures which better separate vehicles and help prevent head-on collisions."

The Federal Government has committed $80 million to upgrading the Dukes Highway, with South Australia chipping in $20 million.

South Australian Road Safety Minister Michael O’Brien says the funding has gone toward installing audible centre lines strips along 90km of the highway to alert drivers if they drift to the wrong side of the road.

"Other elements to our safety program have included the removal of roadside hazards, construction of seven new rest areas, upgrades of 10 existing rest areas and provision of 11 new and extended overtaking lanes," he says.


Bookmark and Share





You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook