Bruce Highway to get extra overtaking lanes


Section of the Bruce Highway in north Queensland receives funding for extra overtaking lanes

November 11, 2013

Work is underway to duplicate a section of the Bruce Highway in north Queensland to provide more overtaking lanes for road users.

The work involves duplicating 1.3km of highway at Coningsby, north of Mackay as part of the Federal Government’s $175 million Bruce Highway Overtaking Lane Program.

Federal MP for the seat of Dawson George Christensen says the duplication at Coningsby will provide enough distance for north and southbound motorists to overtake safely.

"The Australian Government has included in the program a $10 million investment to duplicate the existing road from north of the Coningsby School to the cane rail crossing north of Kochs Road," he says.

State MP for Whitsunday Jason Costigan say the Coningsby duplication will address changing traffic density and movements.

"More than 4,000 vehicles use this stretch of road each day and about 18 per cent of them are heavy vehicles," he says.

Construction of two more overtaking lanes north of Proserpine at Duck Creek began last month. The works, north and south of Duck Creek, are due to be completed in mid 2014.

Infrastructure Minister Warren Truss says up to 50 overtaking lanes will be built on the Bruce Highway as part of the Overtaking Lane Program.




Bookmark and Share




You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook