Industry warned on oversize loads after truck shuts down motorway off-ramp


Oversize B-double became wedged between barriers on an off-ramp on Sydney motorway.

 

The trucking industry has been warned about meeting its obligations when it comes to oversized loads after a truck shut down a motorway off-ramp earlier this week.

The oversized B-double became wedged on the M7 ramp at Eastern Creek on June 24.

It was travelling south when it entered a work zone and then tried to leave the motorway, but collided with 60m of railing and got stuck between the railing and a concrete barrier.

Authorities had to close the off-ramp for a number of hours while the truck was removed.

The Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) has used the incident to warn companies they can face deregistration for ignoring height, width and length requirements.

"It is unacceptable for thousands of motorists to be delayed by over-dimension vehicles causing issues which could be avoided," RMS director of safety and compliance Peter Wells says.

"NSW has the toughest heavy vehicle inspection scheme in Australia and there are harsh penalties to ensure compliance. To avoid being penalised, drivers and freight companies must plan routes which avoid roads, tunnels or bridges where dimension requirements apply."

The 61-year-old truck driver was handed a notice for a major defect for trailer damage, and NSW Police says it expects further charges to be laid.

NSW Police assistant commissioner John Hartley says it is critical operators take extra care when moving oversized loads safely on NSW roads.

"This issue affects all road users, and those operators travelling with oversize loads need to take appropriate precautions to ensure their own safety, and the safety of other motorists," Hartley says.

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook