Decoupling bays opened on Flinders Highway


After calls from industry and local transport representatives, a new facility has been built outside Townsville

Decoupling bays opened on Flinders Highway
A new 28 trailer bay on the Flinders Highway. Image from Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads.

 

The first project to be completed under the Queensland government’s Accelerated Works Program (AWP), the new heavy vehicle decoupling facility in Townsville is now open.

Completed on May 31, the new stretch of road-side bays can hold up to 28 trailers and hopes to provide a safe stop point for drivers.

"We invested $1 million to this important project after consultation with the heavy vehicle industry last year and concerns about safety for heavy vehicle drivers," Queensland main roads and road safety minister Mark Bailey says.

"The Palaszczuk Government then fast-tracked delivery as part our $77.6 million Accelerated Works Program, to boost the local economy and create jobs for North Queensland."

Joining the roads minister in announcing the news, the minister assisting the Premier on North Australia Coralee O’Rourke says the decoupling facility will assist long-haul truck drivers who do not have a company location in the area.

"While there are several commercial facilities in Townsville, these are typically used by large transport companies and for longer term trailer storage – so this new pad is providing local industry with the long-term solution they need," she says.

"Up to 28 trailers will be able to decouple at the facility, which is beside the compliance interception site on Townsville Port Access Road."

The need for the facility was highlighted by local operators and industry representatives during consultations, including with the Livestock and Rural Transporters Association of Queensland.

Overtaking lanes

In a different announcement for the Flinders Highway, the Queensland government has committed $450,000 to plan and determine the business case for three overtaking lanes on the highway between Townsville and Charters Towers.

Part of the State Budget, the planning process does not promise any future works but will look at ways to tackle congestion on the road.

O’Rourke says on the approximately 120km stretch of road "heavy vehicles, including large, multi-combination vehicles account for around 20 percent of traffic."

"Low speeds and limited overtaking opportunities contribute to regular traffic delays," she says.

"By giving motorists more overtaking opportunities, we will improve safety, capacity and efficiency.

"We expect detailed planning for this project to be finished next year."

The state government says the project may require federal government funding to ensure it goes ahead.

 

 

 

You can also follow our updates by liking us on Facebook